|Walk:||Radcliffe Hall, Dobson’s Hall, Thornley Hall, Cardwell House (Jeffrey Hill), Thornley Hall Fell, Rams Clough, Bradley Hall, Gibbon Bridge, Moss Side and Chipping.|
|Start Point:||Chipping car park (pay) plus toilets and boot wash||Grid Reference:||SD 621 432|
|Distance:||7.3 miles||Ascent:||775 feet|
|Weather:||Raw with some sunshine and intermittent spots of rain|
|Comments:||In Old English the word Chipping or
Chepyn meant Market. Chipping is mentioned in the Doomsday Book in
1086. Prior to 1913, when water was piped in, there were nine wells
in the village. Electricity arrived in 1935. Chipping is in The
Forest of Bowland and is part of Ribble Borough Council.
St Bartholomew’s Church is located on a Rocky Knoll which is in an ideal place because at one time the lower ground was a swamp. Before the swamp was drained, Malaria carrying Mosquitoes bred there. At one time Chipping Brook powered eight watermills. Sadly, Berry’s Chairworks, as succumbed to the recent economic climate.
With the peel of the bells from St Bartholomew’s Church in their ears the party of twenty one departed Chipping in a light smattering of cold rain. The first port of call was Radcliffe Hall followed by Dobson’s Hall. After admiring a few Peacocks near the Dobson’s Hall the party stopped for tea near to the River Loud. Crossing the river the party joined a highway to reach Thornley Hall. At this point the hard work began in so much that four hundred and sixty feet had to be climbed in 0.6 of a mile in order to reach Cardwell House on Jeffrey Hill. Once recovered, the party then followed a little used and overgrown path (approximately 820 feet above sea level) along side a wall on Thornley Hall Fell. Perched on the wall was a Grouse but unfortunately there wasn’t any whisky. Upon reaching an access gate to an Access Area the walkers took lunch before descending across very, very, boggy fields to Rams Clough and a highway. Turning right to Bradley Hall the walkers then rejoined field paths and crossed the line of a Roman Road to pass through Carr Side Farm and Loud Carr Side on their way to Gibbon Bridge and the River Hodder. Prior to arriving at the Roman Road some of the group saw two Deer scampering away from their presence. (Three were seen on the recce in the same area.) Ignoring the path through the Gibbon Bridge Restaurant the party took the next path on the left to cross what may be a Steam Traction Engine Fair site on their way to Moss Side (dwelling). Here was another clue to the possibility of traction engines in the form of a trailer van towed by traction engines. The last leg of the walk was across a moss to Town End at Chipping. This was possibly one of the swamps where Mosquitoes thrived many years ago. A pleasant walk with good views, even with a little rain, sunshine and plenty of mud. Oh! and a bit of a climb.
Scroll down to see photos of the walk
A distant Parlick Pike and Wolf Fell
Leaving Radcliffe Hall
Setting off from Chipping over farmland
Settling down for a tea break . . .
near to the River Loud
Crossing the River Loud
Starting the ascent of Longridge Fell
Two young ladies nearing the top
Awaiting the leader at the top
This bird left no whisky
Approaching the lunch stop . . .
followed by three more
I thought they only made 'cat flaps'!
Is this coal for traction engines?
A closer look reveals the answer
Return to 2010 Diary Return to top