Sunday, 1st July 2012
Scroll down to see photos of the walk
Leaving St Michael's Church . . .
it isn't long before the full waterproofs are needed
We were going to have elevenses on Weet's Top . . .
but we went for the shelter of the wall . . .
just past the remains of a medieval monastic wayside cross. The cross was restored in 1955 and only the base or socket stone is original. The base is made from gritstone and stands near the junction of five townships so may have been important as a boundary stone as well as a route marker to and from the Fountains Abbey estates on Malham Moor.
The view towards Malham isn't inviting
Approaching Gordale Scar . . .
the waterfalls are quite impressive . . .
and even the beck will have to be crossed with care
The higher waterfall looks like it's in full flow
Looking back into the gorge after retracing our steps . . .
past the campsite where most people are already packing up and leaving
Heading down to Malham Tarn . . .
past the 'walled trees'
The group discusses the direction of the waves . . .
before we continue along the Pennine Way . . .
into another gorge . . .
and join the queue descending into Watlowes
Crossing the limestone pavement . . .
the grykes hold numerous plants . . .
of different kinds
Numerous steps lead down to . . .
Malham Cove, some 80 metres high and 300 metres wide. It is a curved crag of carboniferous limestone formed after the last ice age.
The emerging stream derives from the smelt mill sinks, three-quarters of a mile north west of the Cove on the moor
The group watches . . .
as a rock climber . . .
tests out his skills . . .
and higher up, to the right . . .
another rock climber goes 'up the wall'
Heading back beside the beck . . .
which flows swiftly round the grassy islands . . .
we cross a clapper bridge . . .
before taking a last look at the cove
We are being watched!
The old leat feeding Scalegill Mill . . .
has its own overflow system
The mill was originally a cornmill and then from later in the 18thC, a cotton mill.
The present building dates from 1794 and is now holiday flats and cottages.
Arriving back at the church