Sunday, 22nd July 2012
||Greenhalgh Castle , Parkhead, Clarkson's, Lower
House &Bailtonís farms. Lancaster canal.
||Garstang, Riverside car park
||SD 493 454
||Fine & warm with some sun.
||After leaving the car park 16 walkers
turned south to the lane which passes Greenhalgh Castle ruins, where
we paused to read the info. board, before continuing to the farm of
the same name. At this point we turned across fields to cross the
old Pilling railway tract & then the main railway line & a bridge
over the M6. We noted that 2 stiles have been replaced by gates.
Passing Parkhead farm we continued up the lane to eventually turn
south again across fields of long grass Ė rather like walking
through deep snow! By Lower House farm we turned west to Janetís
Hill Wood where there is a eucalyptus tree planted in memory of a
soldier in an Australian regiment who died in 1945. Passing
Bailtonís farm we again crossed over the M6 & the main railway line
to reach the Lancaster canal which we followed back into Garstang
Return to 2012 Diary
Return to top