Sunday, 24th January 2016

Walk: Holmehead Bridge, Ten Acre Hill, Rushton Hill, St James Church, SchoolLlane picnic site, New House, Copped Hill Clough, Hollins House, Stocks Reservoir dam
Start Point: Slaidburn car park Grid Reference: SD 713 524
Distance: 10.4 miles Ascent: 1,219 feet
Time: 6 hours
Weather: Cloudy but dry (very wet underfoot)
Comments: Starting from the car park at Slaidburn we followed the River Hodder crossing it at Holmehead Bridge. Then onto Ten Acre Hill to eventually reach st James’s Church which was demolished in 1938 to make way for the Stocks Reservoir. It was reopened as a “mortuary chapel” on its present site following completion of the reservoir. From the church we made our way along the reservoir to the School Lane picnic site where we had lunch before carrying on to New House and swinging back across the Hodder towards Slaidburn. Following a track along the other side of the reservoir we reached the dam. In view of the wet conditions underfoot we followed the road back to Slaidburn.

The group gathers . . .

at Slaidburn car park

War memorial in Slaidburn

Holmehead Bridge

Uzuri (sign outside a farmhouse) - of African origin meaning beauty

Ten acre hill

The sheep form a question mark? (or a shepherds crook)

St James church

Which was moved when the reservoir was built

The reservoir on the way to new house

The reservoir from the other side on the way back to Slaidburn

Return to 2016 Diary